Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Adventure's in atypical motherhood (8/12/11)

(Originally written 8/12/2011)
I love Tyrell more than anything. But adopting an older child with a traumatic history has it's share of strange moments. They are getting fewer and farther between the longer he is with us, but they still pop up sometimes and I can't help but scratch my head or laugh to myself. I am usually rendered speechless. There are holes in his development and sometimes you think he already knows something, or should know something, and doesn't. 

Today we were running errands and Tyrell wanted to bring his friend along. I agreed. In the car, said friend was talking about some young childhood memories. This tends to be a sticky area for Tyrell because his young childhood was so unstable and unhealthy. Tyrell generally handles these situations well, though, and started talking about when he was living in a hotel with his birth parents and an old man a few doors down would watch him sometimes when his parents weren't there. His friend questioned him, whether it was a hotel or an apartment. Tyrell said sometimes both. (At this point he seemed to know it wasn't a "typical" experience and his friend might find it strange.) Then the friend seemed to have a lightbulb moment and stated, "Oh, like Suite Life of Zac and Cody?" Um, no. A thousand times, no. And then Tyrell replied "Kinda."

And then I scratch my head, and love on my baby some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment