Friday, August 14, 2015

Happy Birthday Bryant!


Today is Bryant's 7th birthday. Bryant is our friend who we met at Wolfson Children's Hospital last fall. He finished his fight against cancer last November and is in heaven. 
Bryant was the first little friend we lost. I was shattered. The next day the sun rose and shined all day and I was incredulous. I told Jerry I didn't want to live in a world without Bryant in it.
We used to call Eli the mayor of the 4th floor, because he thought he ran the show in the hematology/oncology unit at Wolfson. And then we met Bryant. If Eli was the mayor, Bryant was the governor. 
Bryant knew how everything worked, what days different activities would be, and he kept track of who came in the unit every time he heard someone ring the bell to be allowed access. 
Bryant had a huge personality. He brought the party to Weaver 4. His nurse once told us she had to stop him from going into Eli's room in the middle of the night. Bryant just wanted to play with his buddy. ;) Instead he drew a picture and wrote a note with a black crayon that said "Come out side your room" and slipped it under the door. I found it in the morning. Man, I wish I still had that note. 
Eli and Bryant were the fastest of friends. Maybe they somehow knew they didn't have much time with each other? Seeing them play together brought me so much joy. It was as though they weren't even sick. 
When Bryant died I didn't know what to say to Eli. They had both been in and out of the hospital so much that Eli only knew Bryant in the hospital. Eli was 3 1/2, so I didn't bring it up to him. I waited until the next time he asked about Bryant and then I just told him that Bryant didn't live here anymore, that he lived with Jesus. I think Eli asked me a few times and I just said Bryant lives with Jesus now.
I have no idea if that was the right way to do it. I had no idea what was around the bend for us. 
At some point during the night after Eli passed, I looked at Jerry and with a smile and tears said, "He's with Bryant now. I bet they're having so much fun."
I bet Bryant is the informal governor of heaven, just like he was on Weaver 4. I bet he keeps an ear out for new arrivals and welcomes each new soul. I wonder what he and Eli and Wyatt are doing. 
Happy Birthday in heaven, Bryant! You are so very loved and missed by so many. 

No comments:

Post a Comment