Monday, August 6, 2012

I'm the new Safety Patrol!


Eli was up early one day and I was desperate for a few more winks. So I brought him into my bed. Obviously, he was not going to be sleeping, but he climbed on me, he climbed on Jerry, he played with the remote control, and I closed my eyes for a few minutes. Then he picked up my glasses. And I should have taken them away immediately. But the first thing he did was hold them up to his face, which was so stinkin' cute! The second thing he did was yank the ear piece clear off the frames. Aw, crap. 
I suffered through a couple days with no glasses. I usually wear contacts, but I do use my glasses in the mornings and evenings. I was dreading the whole eye exam, wait 2 weeks for new glasses, $$$ rigmarole. I stopped at the walmart vision center and asked the technician if my glasses could be saved. She took one look at them and said, "Nope. No way." Sigh. Then she said she could possibly find frames to fit the lenses and could pop them in right then. God bless her, she went to the cheapest section of the wall of frames and started trying frames and lenses like puzzle pieces. She picked up one awfully pink pair said she thought they'd work and would they be okay? Well, um, in my head I was thinking that they looked like a 10-year-old girl picked them out, but this woman was going to work a glasses miracle for cheap and my choices were slim, so I quickly agreed. She took them to a back room to apply some heat and stretch the plastic frames around my prescription lenses. She came back with a fully functional pair of pink plastic glasses with butterflies on the ear pieces. And she rang me up for $25. And I was out of walmart in less than 10 minutes. God bless that vision tech lady. 


Now I look like the safety patrol of my house. I'm sure my family would say I'm pretty bossy, so at least I have a reason now. I have to live up to the nature of the glasses-wearing, patrol belt-bearing, know it all, 5th grade girl. Duh.


No comments:

Post a Comment