Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Writing his name in the sky

When Eli turned 4 last spring while in bone marrow transplant, I felt lament that he couldn't write his name. It doesn't need to be rational, I was just emotionally exhausted from living in the hospital and watching my kid get worse and I hated that he couldn't write his name. 
After Eli died in July I was desperate for assurance that he was okay and that I was going to be okay, eventually. I asked (God? Eli? I don't know) to see Eli's name in the sky. I wanted to see it clearly, so I would know for sure that Eli was okay and he could write his name. This would give me peace. This is what I thought. Again, it wasn't and didn't need to be rational. It was just how I felt and what I desired. So I looked for Eli's name in the sky for a month or two as I became more and more cynical. 
Then I stopped looking. What did I really think I was going to see? It was dumb anyway. 
My mom started a tradition/ritual of releasing a floating lantern each holiday in honor of Eli and now my grandma who passed away suddenly before Christmas. She has my complete blessing to grieve Eli however is comforting. But I won't participate. It's too much for me. 
So on Christmas late afternoon my entire extended family set out for a park to release two lanterns. On their way they saw Eli's name in the clouds: ELi. 
I wasn't there. I was at the beach with what seemed to be most of the rest of Jacksonville. The weather was weird and foggy. When I got back in my car I had a text from my mom that they had seen Eli's name in the clouds. She didn't know I had asked for that. No one did. 
How am I supposed to feel about this? This one bizarre thing I asked for actually happened, but not for me to see. There is a picture. That is not much consolation. 
I have a lot of questions. What am I supposed to do with this? Accept it because that's how life goes- you might get what you want, but rarely in the manner you wanted? Be grateful that it happened at all and there is a picture I can see? What if I had been there? Would I have been able to receive it or would I have found a way to discount it like I do everything else? Mostly, why did it happen this way? 
Here is what I either know or presume: This thing that happened has not strengthened my faith or brought me comfort. It pisses me off. I do think I would have discounted it somehow because Christmas was terrible and I was so angry and generally on the warpath that day. But I don't know what to do with it now. Look, if it was God or Eli that put Eli's name in the sky, then why was it somewhere I wouldn't see it. What is that about? 
I really don't think there is a simple answer, or an answer that would make sense to me here and now. But I do wish I understood what that was all about. 
I'm not sure I wish I was there, because like I said I don't think it would have been the comforting experience I desired. But maybe that's all I really want is some true comfort. I don't know.

ELi


2 comments:

  1. Lisa, dearest niece, it's still to early...not even a year. Grieve, my dear. Give yourself to the grief...and know that while you will always grieve for Eli, you will move on with your life...just differently from what you'd planned. Remember, now is not forever...even though it feels like it sometimes. XOX

    ReplyDelete