Monday, December 14, 2015

I was the one

I was the first one to know he was coming, the first to see the test result, "pregnant", the first to feel the ice of fear shoot down my spine. I was the one who felt his gymnastics and his hiccups as he grew and played in my belly. I was the one who labored with him for 17 hours and pushed him, launched him, like a man out of a cannon, from my body. I was the one who fed him, in seemingly a million different ways, just to get something, anything into his tiny tummy. I was the one who cried when he cried and laughed when he laughed. I was the one who gently covered his little bottom in balm when he had a rash. I was the one who sang songs, who paced and bounced for hours, to try to calm his discomfort. I was the one who made food from scratch and calculated calories and fat of every single bite, trying to get just a little more in him. I was the one who got up every night, over and over, to feed him and comfort him. I was the one who bathed him, washed his hair, kissed his feet, and made raspberries with him. I was the one he feel asleep on in the grocery store, strapped to my chest. I was the one who cheered endlessly at his every attempt to take a step and another step, as though he was discovering a new scientific element. I was the one who took his temperature, even though I already knew he had a fever. I was the one who begged him to just watch TV for 10 minutes so I could shower or eat or think. I was the one who drove him to swimming lessons every day for 8 weeks so he wouldn't drown. I was the one who read him bedtime stories. I was the one who planned his birthday parties. I was the one who took pictures endlessly (though now I would say not nearly enough).
I was the one who held him in the ER. I was the one who slept in the hospital bed with him. I was the one who took him to clinic appointments and at home cared for the line they put in his arm. I was the one who gave his medical history over and over and over and over and over again. I was the one who told him what would happen at the next procedure. I was the one who watched his spirit crumble when he realized he wasn't strong enough to run and play with his brother anymore. I was the one who told him the doctors were going to take his teeth out. I was the one who planned the tooth fairy party for after the surgery. I was the one who saw his tears for the frustration they were when he couldn't say words correctly without teeth. I was the one who cried and screamed in my car until my voice was hoarse, so he wouldn't have to know how angry and scared I was. I was the one who held his hand, who hid under the covers with him so we didn't have to see our reality. I was the one who lost my mind at doctors and nurses and policies that weren't helping him. I was the one who told him how much I loved him and how happy he made me. I was the one who told him he won the battle, but his body was tired and needed to rest. I was the one who kissed him and wiped his tears. So I was the one who laid next to him when his heart slowed to a stop.

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, my heart breaks for you. The pictures you took of Eli and shared with the Facebook world let us have some small glimpse of the amazing little boy you brought into the world. And your writing gives us a glimpse of the pain and grief and love and joy and frustration that have been part of your life. I wish I had words that would help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried so hard. RIP Eli! I believe all the love your mother gave you became the steps to heaven

    ReplyDelete