Thursday, February 5, 2015

"He's awake!" and other ways medical people are not helpful

Sitting in the surgical waiting room, I hear several families get called to go see their child in recovery.  The nurse calls the family's name, and the family rushes toward the door. As they walk across the threshold the nurse announces, "He's awake!" in a boisterous, cheerful tone.
Let me tell you, I want to punch* her for that family. Because when she announces to me that my child is awake, it will not be a comforting statement. "He did well", "He's doing fine/great/good", "Everything went exactly as planned", these are somewhat comforting statements. Hearing he's awake is not comforting, because it tells me he's terrified, because I'm not with him. He's scared when he wakes up at night if I'm not there. He's scared when he wakes up from a nap if I'm not there. And you can bet your sweet bippy that if he wakes up in recovery and I'm not there he is going to be scared. You have procedures and protocol and policies, I get it. But please don't use this opportunity to remind me of my son's fear, especially when there is nothing I can do about it.
There is a good chunk of medical professionals who act like this is all just everyday life. And for them it is. It is their everyday work life. When it is your real, actual everyday life, it is exhausting and terrifying and frustrating. I get that you as a medical professional can't necessarily emotionally engage with all (or any?) of your patients for your own sanity. That makes sense. I'm not unreasonable. But do you know what is not helpful for exhaustion, terror, and frustration? Cheerfulness. Cheerfulness glosses over true feelings and experiences. Do you know what acknowledges the hard paths your patients are on? Compassion. Helpfulness. Calm. Empathy. Listening. These are things that help communicate that you see the patient. Being cheerful tells me you are not on my team and you do not really care.

*the urge to punch is really not her fault. Most of the time it is bubbling just below the surface these days, waiting for any small reason to poke its head out.

No comments:

Post a Comment