Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Climbing Mountains

Today was Ty's 5th Grade Completion Ceremony. It's like graduation, but Duval county is of the belief that you don't graduate until you graduate high school (touche DCPS...), so you "move on" to a new grade or level or "complete" a grade or school. Which is factual and a little less exciting than a "graduation".
The teachers gave out awards- 5th grade completion, awards for A or A/B honor all year, A citizenship all year, perfect attendance all year, book standard, turnaround student, and the classes voted on superlatives. Also, the principal gave out a few awards. Tyrell got 5th grade completion and science fair participant.
To be honest, it was kind of a buzz kill. Because I know how hard Tyrell has worked and how far he has come. And I am UNBELIEVABLY PROUD OF HIM!!!!!!
I recently read where an adoptive mom referred to her kids' struggles as "climbing mountains, in the snow, with no feet". It is so true. I had the most loving, nurturing upbringing and I still A) rely on my parents for advice and emotional support and B) doubt myself and struggle with negative self talk. Basically Tyrell had none of that for the first ten years of his life. None. N. O. N. E. He spent 10 years knowing that no one truly cared about him and would put his life before their own. So can you (or I) blame him when he pulls away from the love and support he now receives?
He made the school spelling bee. He is performing at grade level at school (he wasn't at the beginning of the year). He plays team sports. He has friends. He laughs at jokes (he didn't used to). He controls his anger almost all the time. He works hard. He's started letting his creativity out. He learned to swim. He can be around some of his triggers and not lose it. He tells me he loves me and sometimes he hugs and kisses me. He has climbed mountains, in the snow, with no feet.
I don't doubt that his teachers have noticed, because they have told me how well he is doing, how proud they are of him, how much his test scores have improved throughout the year, etc. I know they have seen a lot of progress at school. But they must not really know the depth of what he has and is overcoming. Because I am fighting the urge to throw him a party. A big, fat, gypsy-inspired party. (No, I am not being discriminatory, watch TLC. Gypsies know how to party. Fact.)
I guess I just wish he was publicly acknowledged for all of his efforts. I want the rest of the world to recognize everything I see in him. Perhaps that's not realistic. I don't know that I've ever been all that realistic. Jerry and I are flabbergasted by the amount of ground Ty has made up academically this year. We give a huge amount of credit to his teachers. I wrote thank you cards to them about a month ago, and this week I wrote a 3 page letter to the principal explaining exactly how this school year has affected Ty, specifically what his teachers have done to help him. They have supported and encouraged him as a person and his efforts academically. I will be forever grateful to them for changing Tyrell's academic direction.
Here is my mountain climber with his fabulous teachers at the completion ceremony this evening.
Mrs. Jones

Mr. L.

























Here's to you, Ty. I wish you believed all of the wonderful truths I know about you. I wish the world knew the height and depth and length of all you have overcome. I love you infinite.












                                                                             




2 comments:

  1. Goosebumps. I just want to reach out and give you a big 'ol hug. You are an amazing momma. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rosemary! I feel the same way about you!

    ReplyDelete