Sunday, February 7, 2016

Valentines

I loved Valentine's Day with my kids. On Ty's first Valentine's Day with us I microwaved frozen pancakes and used a cookie cutter to cut them into heart shapes (it was a weekday. Also, a life tip: have realistic expectations). Every year since then I have taped 14 construction paper hearts on his bedroom door with things I love about him written on them. The only year that Eli went to preschool around Valentine's Day I made freaking adorable valentines with swedish fish candy that said, "I'm glad we're in the same school." Gah! So adorable! 
Like everyone, I have my strengths and weaknesses. But as a mom I enjoyed looking for simple ways to create extra magic. A big part of that motivation has been trying to somehow make up for the years before Ty was with us. I wish I could say that I'm still making magic for him, but so far I'm not. He deserves better than this. 
This year I wanted to do something for Valentine's Day to spread some love. I managed to be organized enough that other people could get involved with a little Valentine's project and just like at Christmas with the food baskets, they blew me away. We're making 100 adorable Pinterest-y valentines for kids in the hospital and 40 for parents. And I'm so glad to be able to do it. I'm thankful for people who bought supplies and people who will show up to assemble the valentines. I'm thankful for my friend who works at the hospital and is able to distribute them. I'm thankful that all this love I have has somewhere to go. I'm thankful that come Friday, the unofficial school valentine's celebration day, some kids in the hospital will know they are remembered and loved.
But I just wish I was making my own valentines for my own preschooler. 

No comments:

Post a Comment